Fashion Design Technology Final Project 1 Portfolio

20/4/2026 - 24/7/2026 | Week 1 - Week 14
Johanna Leong Hui Ninn 0359221
Bachelor of Fashion Design Technology (Honours)



Week 1

We were introduced to the module and its assignments, which helped me understand the expectations and overall direction of the project. I began exploring my chosen theme and presented my initial research, which gave me a clearer idea of how I want to develop my concept moving forward.


Week 2

Each of us had an individual consultation with our lecturer. This was useful in helping me evaluate my progress and identify areas that needed improvement, especially in my sketch development. The feedback I received guided me in refining my ideas and made me more aware of how to strengthen my design direction.


Week 3

I presented my slides and sketchbook. This experience allowed me to reflect on how my work has developed over time, from initial research to visual execution. It also helped me gain confidence in presenting my ideas and understanding how my concept is progressing as a whole.


Week 4

I presented my Look 1 toile to my lecturer in order to gain feedback on how it could be improved. This was helpful in identifying the necessary adjustments, and I plan to work with my pattern lecturer to refine and correct my patterns based on the suggested changes. During this week, our lecturer also shared his own work with us, which helped me better understand the depth and possibilities of textile manipulation. It was inspiring and gave me a clearer idea of how details and experimentation can enhance design outcomes. This has encouraged me to stay more focused and organized in developing my collection.

 


Week 5

In Week 5 I continued exploring different silhouettes, design details and concepts for my final collection. As my ideas became more refined, I focused on selecting the design elements that best suited my overall concept while considering both creativity and practicality. Experimenting with different variations helped me make more confident design decisions and further develop the identity of my collection.

I updated my lecturer on my updated design sketches that I made some edits to. This helped me gain clarity and confidence in the direction of my collection. I also made several adjustments to my Look 1 toile based on feedback from my pattern-making lecturer. The process took longer than expected as I had to refine and correct multiple areas, and my final version only came out after my fifth attempt. Although it was time-consuming, it helped me better understand the importance of precision and patience in pattern development.

I also made several adjustments to my Look 1 toile based on feedback from my pattern-making lecturer. The process took longer than expected as I had to refine and correct multiple areas, and my final version only came out after my fifth attempt. Although it was time-consuming, it helped me better understand the importance of precision and patience in pattern development.

I made steady progress on my toile by refining its construction and fit. Through this process, I gained a better understanding of how small adjustments can greatly improve the overall outcome of a garment. This week's work reinforced the importance of patience and continuous refinement, as each modification brought my design closer to the intended result.


Week 6

In Week 6, I focused on finalizing the toiles for Look 1 and Look 2. This stage allowed me to review the construction, fit, and overall appearance of my designs while making the necessary adjustments to improve the final outcome. Completing the toiles helped me better understand the relationship between my initial concepts and the actual garment structure.

I focused mainly on finalizing my Look 1 toile by completing all the required adjustments. This helped me improve the accuracy and overall structure of the design, ensuring it aligned better with the feedback I received. After that was done, I began working on Look 2 by drafting the patterns and cutting out the fabric during the weekend. I also managed to start sewing some parts of the garment, although it is still not fully completed. 


Week 7

In Week 7, I continued working on finalizing the toiles for my Look 1 and Look 2. This stage allowed me to further refine the garment structures and make any necessary improvements to ensure that the designs were developing according to my intended concepts.


Week 8

In Week 8, I presented my toiles for the second jury session, where I received feedback and evaluation on both Look 1 and Look 2. This process allowed me to reflect on the strengths and areas for improvement of my work, while gaining valuable insights that could help further refine my designs.

link here

After that, I began working on the toile progress for Look 3 and Look 4. Starting the patterns for these new designs allowed me to apply the feedback gained from the previous toiles and continue developing my collection with improved techniques and consideration.


Week 9

In Week 9, I continued developing my toiles for Look 3 and Look 4 by focusing on the initial construction and exploration process. I experimented with different design ideas and pattern variations through toile development to test the silhouettes, structures and details of each garment. Through this process, I gained a better understanding of how experimentation can work together to refine my collection.


Week 10

In Week 10, I continued making progress with my work and continued refining and finalizing the toiles for Look 3 and Look 4, making necessary adjustments to improve the overall construction, fit, and design details. This stage helped me connect my initial ideas with the physical outcome of the garments while preparing for the next phase of the collection development process.


Week 11

In Week 11, I continued to make progress on my work by focusing on the finalization of the toiles for Look 3 and Look 4. I worked on refining the construction and making the necessary adjustments to ensure that the designs were closer to my intended outcome. 


Week 12

In Week 12, I continued on the finalization of the toiles for Look 3 and Look 4. At this stage, I concentrated on refining the garment structures, improving the fit, and ensuring that the design details were properly executed according to my initial concepts. I also explored different pattern choices that could help influence the overall appearance and storytelling of my designs. This process allowed me to further develop the visual direction of my collection while preparing for the final garment production stage.


Week 13

In Week 13, I did the last few of my progress of the toiles for Look 3 and Look 4. At this stage, I worked on making final refinements and edits to the garment structures, ensuring that the fit, construction and design details were properly developed before moving forward. Throughout this last week before our final presentation, I further enhance the visual and design elements of my collection while preparing for the final stages of garment development.


Week 14

In Week 14 it was the final week of the semester, where I presented all four toiles as part of the final presentation. This was an important part of my presentation as it allowed me to showcase the overall development and progress of my collection, from the initial concepts and experiments to the completed toile outcomes.

Presenting all four looks gave me the opportunity to reflect on the journey of developing my designs, including the challenges faced during the pattern-making, construction and refinement processes. It also allowed me to receive final feedback and evaluate how effectively my ideas were translated into physical garments. Overall, this presentation marked the completion of the toile development stage and highlighted the growth of my technical and creative skills throughout the module.


Reflection

Throughout this module, I have gained a deeper understanding of the design development process and how to transform a concept into a cohesive fashion collection. Each stage of the module encouraged me to explore different design ideas, experiment with silhouettes, fabrics, and details and continuously refine my work through research and practical development.

The journey was both challenging and rewarding, as it pushed me to think more creatively while also considering the technical and conceptual aspects of fashion design. Developing my collection taught me the importance of experimentation, critical thinking and being open to revising my ideas in order to achieve stronger design outcomes.

I am especially grateful for the guidance and valuable insights provided by my lecturer throughout the semester. The constructive feedback helped me view my designs from different perspectives and encouraged me to make thoughtful improvements to my collection. Through their support, I developed a better understanding of design principles, concept development and how every design decision contributes to a collection's overall identity and storytelling.

Overall, this module has strengthened my creativity, confidence and design skills. It has given me valuable experience in developing a fashion collection from concept to execution and I believe the knowledge and insights I have gained will continue to guide me in my future projects and professional career as a fashion designer.

Comments