Garment Creation Technology 1 Portfolio

20/4/2026 - 24/7/2026 | Week 1 - Week 14
Johanna Leong Hui Ninn 0359221
Bachelor of Fashion Design Technology (Honours)



Week 1

In the first week, we were given an introduction to the module, including the subject outline, assignment briefing and the rules and regulations for the class. We also had a recap of the CLO3D interface, where we revised the software's basic functions, such as navigating the workspace, using the library and avatars, loading items, running garment simulations, understanding the Gizmo tool and using the reset arrangement tools.

We also had a briefing for Assignment 1 which gave me a clear understanding of the task. The assignment involves preparing basic 2D patterns for tops and bottoms and converting them into 3D garments using CLO3D. Revisiting the software's essential features helped refresh my knowledge and made me feel more confident about completing the assignment. With this assignment I aim to strengthen my technical skills even further and becoming more efficient with pattern making throughout the semester.

I also made the technical drawing of the garment for my Assignment 1, shown below.


Week 2

For week 2, I refreshed my memory on how to use the internal shapes tool and explored the different fabrications and materials available in CLO3D. We were introduced to various fabric properties, trims, topstitching, graphics and how to manage them through the object browser and property editor. In class we also learned about line and internal-line properties, including features such as elastic, folding, filling, steaming and seam taping, as well as the importance of layers and sublayers when constructing digital garments.

During our class this week, we experimented with different fabric effects and mapping techniques to better understand how material properties influence the appearance and behaviour of garments. This week's class gave me a deeper understanding of how small adjustments to fabric settings and garment details can significantly improve the realism and quality of a digital design. It also increased my confidence in using CLO3D's more advanced tools.


Week 3

In Week 3 we had no usual classes but we had a replacement class on Saturday, where we were briefed for Assignment 2. The assignment requires us to produce two toiles from our final collection, beginning with personal pattern development and toile explorations based on our chosen concept. This marked the transition from learning the software to applying it directly to our own designs.

During the class, I continued experimenting with fabric effects and mapping while also starting to explore patterns and construction methods. These explorations allowed me to test different ideas before committing to a final design, helping me understand how digital prototyping can improve the garment development process.

We were also reminded to submit Assignment 1. Overall, this week helped me shift my focus towards developing my final collection while applying the pattern techniques I had learned in previous classes. Below are my work for assignment 1.


Week 4

In Week 4, I focused on exploring different silhouettes, design details, and concepts for my final collection. Experimenting with various shapes and design elements allowed me to compare different ideas and evaluate which ones best reflected my overall theme. This process helped me think more critically about proportion, structure, and the visual impact of each design.

I also continued making progress on my toile, using it to test the fit and construction of my garment. Working on the toile helped me identify areas that required adjustments before moving on to the final garment, reinforcing the importance of prototyping in achieving a well-constructed design. 

 

I also ended up presented my Look 1 toile to my lecturer in order to gain feedback on how it could be improved. This was helpful in identifying the necessary adjustments, and I plan to work with my lecturer to refine and correct my patterns based on the suggested changes. Overall, this week encouraged me to refine my creative ideas while improving the technical aspects of my work.


Week 5

In Week 5 I continued exploring different silhouettes, design details and concepts for my final collection. As my ideas became more refined, I focused on selecting the design elements that best suited my overall concept while considering both creativity and practicality. Experimenting with different variations helped me make more confident design decisions and further develop the identity of my collection.

I also made several adjustments to my Look 1 toile based on feedback from my lecturer. The process took longer than expected as I had to refine and correct multiple areas, and my final version only came out after my fifth attempt. Although it was time-consuming, it helped me better understand the importance of precision and patience in pattern development.

I made steady progress on my toile by refining its construction and fit. Through this process, I gained a better understanding of how small adjustments can greatly improve the overall outcome of a garment. This week's work reinforced the importance of patience and continuous refinement, as each modification brought my design closer to the intended result.


Week 6

In Week 6, I focused on finalizing the toiles for Look 1 and Look 2. This stage allowed me to review the construction, fit, and overall appearance of my designs while making the necessary adjustments to improve the final outcome. Completing the toiles helped me better understand the relationship between my initial concepts and the actual garment structure.

I focused mainly on finalizing my Look 1 toile by completing all the required adjustments. This helped me improve the accuracy and overall structure of the design, ensuring it aligned better with the feedback I received. After that was done, I began working on Look 2 by drafting the patterns and cutting out the fabric during the weekend. I also managed to start sewing some parts of the garment, although it is still not fully completed. 


Week 7

In Week 7, there was a holiday break for Wesak Day. Despite having no scheduled class, I continued working on finalizing the toiles for my Look 1 and Look 2. This stage allowed me to further refine the garment structures and make any necessary improvements to ensure that the designs were developing according to my intended concepts.


Week 8

In Week 8, I presented my toiles for the second jury session, where I received feedback and evaluation on both Look 1 and Look 2. This process allowed me to reflect on the strengths and areas for improvement of my work, while gaining valuable insights that could help further refine my designs.

During this week I also submitted Assignment 2, which included both the physical toiles and digital compilation slides. I was able to showcase the progress and development of my designs as part of this assignment. We were also introduced to the final project brief, which provided a clearer understanding of the upcoming requirements and expectations.

After completing the submission, I began working on the toile progress for Look 3 and Look 4. Starting the patterns for these new designs allowed me to apply the feedback gained from the previous toiles and continue developing my collection with improved techniques and consideration.


Week 9

In Week 9, I continued developing my toiles for Look 3 and Look 4 by focusing on the initial construction and exploration process. I experimented with different design ideas and pattern variations through toile development to test the silhouettes, structures and details of each garment. Through this process, I gained a better understanding of how experimentation can work together to refine my collection.


Week 10

In Week 10, I continued making progress with my work and continued refining and finalizing the toiles for Look 3 and Look 4, making necessary adjustments to improve the overall construction, fit, and design details. This stage helped me connect my initial ideas with the physical outcome of the garments while preparing for the next phase of the collection development process.


Week 11

In Week 11, I continued to make progress on my work by focusing on the finalization of the toiles for Look 3 and Look 4. I worked on refining the construction and making the necessary adjustments to ensure that the designs were closer to my intended outcome. 


Week 12

In Week 12, I continued on the finalization of the toiles for Look 3 and Look 4. At this stage, I concentrated on refining the garment structures, improving the fit, and ensuring that the design details were properly executed according to my initial concepts. I also explored different pattern choices that could help influence the overall appearance and storytelling of my designs. This process allowed me to further develop the visual direction of my collection while preparing for the final garment production stage.


Week 13

In Week 13, I did the last few of my progress of the toiles for Look 3 and Look 4. At this stage, I worked on making final refinements and edits to the garment structures, ensuring that the fit, construction and design details were properly developed before moving forward. Throughout this last week before our final presentation, I further enhance the visual and design elements of my collection while preparing for the final stages of garment development.


Week 14

In Week 14 it was the final week of the semester, where I presented all four toiles as part of the final presentation. This was an important part of my presentation as it allowed me to showcase the overall development and progress of my collection, from the initial concepts and experiments to the completed toile outcomes.

Presenting all four looks gave me the opportunity to reflect on the journey of developing my designs, including the challenges faced during the pattern-making, construction and refinement processes. It also allowed me to receive final feedback and evaluate how effectively my ideas were translated into physical garments. Overall, this presentation marked the completion of the toile development stage and highlighted the growth of my technical and creative skills throughout the module.


Reflection

Throughout this module, I have gained valuable knowledge and practical experience that helps me improve on my pattern making skills. Learning these pattern-making techniques has helped me better understand garment construction, fit, fabric behaviour and the overall design development process. Each assignment and weekly class challenged me to think critically, experiment with different ideas and continuously refine my work.

One of the most rewarding aspects of this module was seeing my designs evolve from initial concepts into completed toiles. Although there were many challenges, particularly when correcting patterns and perfecting garment fit, these experiences taught me the importance of patience, precision and perseverance. I learned that producing a successful garment often requires multiple revisions and continuous improvement.

I am especially grateful for the guidance and constructive feedback provided by my lecturer throughout the semester. The advice greatly improved my pattern-making skills and helped me identify areas that needed refinement. Through my lecturer's expertise, I became more confident in drafting patterns, solving construction issue, and making informed design decisions.

Overall, this module has strengthened both my technical abilities and creative thinking. I have developed a deeper appreciation for the garment development process and feel much more confident in applying these skills to my future projects and final collection. I believe the knowledge and experience gained from this module will continue to benefit me as I progress in my studies and future career in the fashion industry.

Comments